HanDeDict @ Zydeo version history
Note: This page is about the version history of the website you are viewing. You can browse the change history of the dictionary itself on the History page.
2.1 • March 27, 2017
A powerful collaborative interface that allows visitors to review the dictionary's complete change history; revise, comment, approve or flag existing entries; and add new words to the dictionary.
2.0 • November 16, 2016
A major revamp:
- The website is now a single-page app. In practice this means that search results show up faster because only part of the page is updated after every search.
- New responsive design with improved experience on screens of all sizes.
- Automatic suggestions when searching for German words.
- Entries that are more frequent in Chinese are ranked higher when searching for German words, which in practice means more relevant search results. Word frequencies come from SUBTLEX-CH by Cai & Brysbaert of Ghent University.
- The original handwriting recognition algorithm is replaced with an improved one based on makemeahanzi.
- I normalized HanDeDict's original dictionary file with more discipline to eliminate small errors related to special characters, spaces, punctuation etc.
- The site has moved to a new Virtual Private Server in Frankfurt, for faster response times in Europe. This provider also promises fewer short outages than before.
- The open-source code base has moved to a new Github repostory at https://github.com/gugray/ZydeoWeb.
1.3 • February 13, 2016
Stroke order animations without Flash or Java, based on makemeahanzi by Shaunak Kishore.
1.2 • January 24, 2016
New functionality and improvements:
- Annotation mode for longer Chinese search texts that are not found as a whole word in the dictionary
- Faster page load because the data for handwriting recognition is now downloaded on-demand, when the function is first activated
- Several small improvements for a better user experience
1.1 • December 6, 2015
A minor update with improved experience on small screens (smartphones).
1.0 • November 6, 2015
HanDeDict @ Zydeo goes live, about three months after the disappearance of HanDeDict's original website from the Internet. The site offers a simple search function for Hanzi, Pinyin and German words, as well as on-screen handwriting recognition without Flash or Java.